Update (14/09/2008): The subsequent version of the iPhone firmware, version 2.1 can now be jailbroken, unlocked! More details – Roundup of jailbreaking, unlocking the iPhone 2.1 2G and 3G…
It’s been sometime since our last round up for jailbreaking the latest iPhone firmware, this latest round up will summarise for you the latest you need to know for jailbreaking the latest iPhone firmware, firmware version 2.0.2.
Since Apple’s update was released in an attempt to fix some of the issues relating to 3G on the iPhone well over a week ago, there have since been version updates released for various jailbreaking tools such as the Pwnage Tool, WinPwn and QuickPwn… So let’s get cracking!
- Pwnage Tool 22.214.171.124
So let’s first talk about the latest Pwnage Tool from the iPhone Dev Team, it’s latest is now version 126.96.36.199, this latest release includes an updated Installer app. Though it’s the newest from the iPhone Dev Team, it will only jailbreak and NOT unlock the iPhone 3G running iPhone firmware 2.0, 2.0.1 or the latest 2.0.2. If the first gen iPhone (2G) is the one you have, this latest Pwnage Tool will jailbreak and unlock your iPhone running either firmware 1.1.4 or 1.1.5 or 2.x including iPhone firmware 2.0.1 and 2.0.2.
The latest Pwnage Tool will also include multi language support, these include, German, French, Hungarian and Russian. Please be aware that Pwnage Tool is only compatible for Mac users and not Windows users (use the tools below if you’re running Windows).
Download the Pwnage Tool version 188.8.131.52 here…
- QuickPwn Tool 2.0.2
The Previous version of the QuickPwn Tool did not support Mac users and was originally made for just Windows users. The latest version 2.0.2 supports both OS now, and can be used to jailbreak the latest firmware 2.0.2 by anyone. Don’t be confused, QuickPwn Tool is not a replacement for the Pwnage Tool. Think of QuickPwn as the little brother of Pwnage Tool, err… In other words, the Pwnage Tool is still much more powerful.
As we mentioned in previous posts, QuickPwn makes it quicker and easier to jailbreak iPhone as it does not need iTunes based full restore. Pwnage Tool on the other hand is more powerful, because it allows you to create custom iPhone firmware versions which can then be used to pwn the iPhone to jailbreak it.
The Mac version of QuickPwn Tool will work on iPhone running firmware 2.0.2 and it’s interface is similar to the Pwnage Tool. The latest Windows version of the QuickPwn Tool has now been updated to work on iPhone running iPhone firmwares 2.x (2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2).
Just like the Pwnage Tool, QuickPwn Tool will only jailbreak and NOT unlock the iPhone 3G. If the first gen iPhone (2G) is the one you have, it will jailbreak and unlock your iPhone.
Download QuickPwn 2.0.2 for Windows here…
- WinPwn Tool 2.5
The WinPwn Tool to me has never attracted as much attention in comparison to the creations of the iPhone Dev Team, especially now that QuickPwn is available. Nevertheless for Windows users, the latest WinPwn Tool, version 2.5 is available to jailbreak your iPhone running 2.x (2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2).
WinPwn 2.5 can be used to jailbreak, unlock and activate first gen iPhones running firmware 2.0, 2.0.1 and 2.0.2. It can also be used to jailbreak iPhone 3G running firmware 2.0, 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 but cannot unlock iPhone 3G.
The latest version of the tool comes with an all new user interface and includes the following features:
- QuickPwn Support for iPhone firmware 2.0/2.0.1/2.0.2
- Root partition resize support
- Installer support
- Basic / Expert modes
- Wizard style interface
- Automatic updater
- Support for WinXP and Vista 32/64bit
You can use WinPwn in either Basic or Expert mode. The basic mode is like the easy mode where it uses default settings. All you need to do is build a custom firmware image and restore your iPhone using that custom firmware via iTunes. The expert mode as the name suggests gives you more control over the process.
You can download WinPwn 2.5 here. You must uninstall any older version of WinPwn before you install the latest version.
Should you choose to use WinPwn, here are some links in case you require further support:
You can also check out our previous roundups for jailbreaking the iPhone here:
ust to let everyone know, the latest Pwnage Tool version 2.0.2 by the iPhone Dev Team is out and we’ve outdated our roundup post for jailbreaking firmware 2.0.1 for both iPhone first gen and iPhone 3G. Scroll towards the bottom of that post and you will find the latest update we’ve just inserted.
This is a follow-up round up of our previous post: Roundup of jailbreaking, unlocking the iPhone 2.0 2G and 3G so far…
As most will know the latest firmware for the iPhone 2G and the 3G is currently 2.0.1 and no longer 2.0. However the latest version of the Pwnage Tool 2.0.1 isn’t a version match which means it has nothing to do with jailbreaking the firmware 2.0.1 iPhone 2G or 3G. However it is effective for jailbreaking firmware 2.0, click here to see more on this.
At the moment, whether your iPhone is 2G or 3G and is working fine, jailbroken on firmware 2.0 then it is suggested that you leave it alone and not update via iTunes. There isn’t much that can be done once you have updated to 2.0.1, it will almost inevitably render you losing all your favorite unofficial native iPhone apps. If you were using an unlocked iPhone then it means that your iPhone will be locked. So if you were using an iPhone with a SIM from some other carrier then it would make your iPhone unusable, also termed as “iBrick” in the iPhone hacking terms.
However if you’ve got a contract and don’t plan on switching to any other carrier or network in the near future, plus you’re not bothered about unofficial native iPhone apps, here is what some users have noticed about the latest firmware 2.0.1 upgrade:
- SMS typing faster
- Faster backup process
- Some users are reporting that the iPhone seems a lot snappier after the update
- Contacts app loads faster
- Safari seems to be significantly more responsive after the update
Here is also what the iPhone Dev Team have noticed about the latest firmware 2.0.1:
The iPhone Dev Team have noticed that iPhone firmware 2.0.1 also updates iPhone 3G baseband. This means that even if the iPhone Dev Team release an updated version of their Pwnage Tool to unlock iPhone 3G running iPhone firmware 2.0, it will not be able to unlock iPhone 3G running iPhone firmware 2.0.1 as the baseband has also been updated. So you run the risk of your iPhone 3G being rendered un-lockable until the iPhone Dev Team get around to unlocking the iPhone 3G baseband bundled iPhone firmware 2.0.1.
Meanwhile here is what the iPhone Dev Team have said on their blog, a quick summary on a few situations and what you should do at this moment:
- If you own a first generation (2G iPhone), no matter what you do now, you don’t have to worry, the next PwnageTool will get you where you want even if it you prematurely updated. 2G is completely pwned at every conceivable level and you’ll always be OK. But if you own a 3G iPhone and are looking for unlock in the near future, don’t use Apple’s update yet!
- If your 3G iPhone is on a regular contract and you always plan to be with the carrier then you can update but you will lose the jailbreak and access to third party (non AppStore) applications.
- If your 3G iPhone is not on a regular contract and you plan to use it on an alternative network to the carrier that supplied it then do not update unless you do it with the impending PwnageTool update.
Update (09/08/2008): Pwnage Tool 2.0.2 just released, it can be used to jailbreak first generation iPhones running 1.1.x versions and 2.0.1 of the iPhone firmware as well as the iPhone 3G running the latest firmware 2.0.1.
Click here for the download links…
Remember like the previous version of the Pwnage Tool, it will be able to jailbreak and unlock the iPhone 2G (first generation) running the versions mentioned above but only jailbreak and not unlock the iPhone 3G.
One important point to note is that the Pwnage Tool at the moment is only suitable for Mac users, however for iPhone 3G users, the iPhone Dev Team still recommends that you stay with firmware 2.0.1 and not upgrade if you’re expecting to unlock your iPhone in the future.
For Windows users, because the Pwnage Tool 2.0.2 just released by the iPhone Dev Team doesn’t work for Windows, we suggest that you don’t upgrade to the latest 2.0.1 firmware while you wait for an update of the ‘WinPwn’ Tool to be released.
We recommend iPhone users to have a look at our previous jailbreak and unlock roundup for firmware 2.0 if you’ve not upgraded to the latest 2.0.1 yet…
Update (12/08/2008): The latest version of WinPwn is out, Windows users can now use it to jailbreak and unlock their iPhone first gen and jailbreak iPhone 3G. This means that still it is not possible to unlock the iPhone 3G and using the i-Smartphone unlock chip seems to remain as the only method. Click on the screenshot below to be transferred to WinPwn’s blog for instructions and download links for the latest WinPwn 184.108.40.206…
Update (18/08/2008): New tool from the iPhone Dev Team released to complement the already available Pwnage Tool 2.0.2, it’s called QuickPwn and it’s for Windows!
Quickpwn has been released as a beta, intended to complement the main PwnageTool. It works with iPhones and iPod’s running 2.0.1 firmware, and operates very quickly without needing iTunes to rebuild/restore your device afterwards. This beta version is basically feature-complete, but lacks a “funky UI” (they’re adding that soon) and is currently windows only (other OS’s are “coming soon”).
The good thing about QuickPwn, though it’s just in beta and still under development, is that it’s impossible for it to permanently damage your device. Currently QuickPwn requires your device to be running version 2.0.1 of the iPhone/iPod firmware. This requirement will change in a subsequent release. Click here for the download…
[via iPhone Dev Team Blog]
As you will know, the iPhone Dev Team have yet to produce a Pwnage tool that will be able to unlock the latest iPhone 3G, though you can jailbreak, you can’t unlock.
The latest unlock clip from Brando is probably the closest thing you can do at the moment to unlock your iPhone.
I’m not entirely sure how it works, but its been designed to says specifically on Brando’s site that it has been designed to unlock operator / SIM card locked Apple iPhone 3G phones. Its really easy to use, all you need to do is slide the attachment under your “normal” SIM card (the one that you wish to use).
Just released the i-Smartphone unlock clip costs $20.50 USD and has been claimed by Brando to also unlock various brands of GSM smartphones. Click here for more details…
You’re new to the iPhone or new to the world of jailbreaking the iPhone, whether you bought the latest brand new iPhone 3G or found an absolute bargain for the first generation iPhone (2G) off eBay and mistakenly updated its firmware after switching it on the first time, you might find the links below useful to sort out your current problem.
For the iPhone 2G on firmware 2.0:
- Unless you wish to, you no longer have to downgrade your iPhone from 2.0 back to 1.1.4 in order to re-jailbreak or re-unlock (exception for Windows users, see below)
- For Mac users: The Pwnage Tool released by the iPhone Dev Team is what you need to jailbreak, unlock and activate the first generation iPhone. The first version, 2.0 received a number of complaints regarding errors, however if you’ve successfully run the Pwnage Tool 2.0 and have had no problems then you should not try to jailbreak again using the latest version 2.0.1.
- Windows users: Update (27/07/2008): iPhone users have come up with a way to jailbreak, unlock and activate your first generation iPhone. As you are aware, the Pwnage Tool isn’t compatible with Windows, instead a WinPWN 1.0 220.127.116.11 has been released to do this job. You can download this here. Unfortunately for Windows users, its abit more complicated because the WinPWN is used to pwn firmware 1.1.4 and not 2.0 directly, so you will need to get your iPhone back to 1.1.4 first before proceeding. Follow all the instructions precisely here, it’s a few extra steps compared to Mac users, but in the end you will be able to jailbreak, unlock and activate your 2G iPhone and run firmware 2.0. This new version of the WinPwn tool is much less complicated than its previous version and will jailbreak and unlock your first generation iPhone. Also you no longer need to be in firmware version 1.1.4 to start off with, you can be using 2.0 and the WinPwn tool will support it. For more info, here is where you need to go.
For the iPhone 3G (firmware 2.0 of course):
- For Mac users: The Pwnage Tool, latest version 2.0.1 is what you need. Though it is the latest version of the tool, the tool still cannot unlock your iPhone. The Pwnage Tool 2.0.1 will however be able to jailbreak your iPhone 3G so that you can run all the apps you like, click here for the link for further details.
- For Windows users: Folks at Whirlpool.net.au Forums have figured out a way to jailbreak iPhone 3G using Windows, again this does not unlock the iPhone 3G. This process does not involve using any kind of Pwnage Tool, it involves downloading some recovery files and custom restore files, you need to follow the link here. Update (27/07/2008): the latest version of WinPwn has been released: version 18.104.22.168 is currently the best and most stable. However, the WinPwn, like the Pwnage Tool for Mac will not unlock your iPhone 3G but will jailbreak it. More info here…
So that’s all for the moment, remember the iPhone 3G can be jailbroken with the present methods above but not unlocked yet. By using any of the methods, you will always run the risk of getting your iPhone bricked! And as always, we’re not the one who created there methods, credits should be given to the respective members of the online iPhone community, we cannot be held responsible for any problems caused by the methods above, because we’re also just readers and reviewers ourselves! Feel free to leave your comments or suggest any corrections.
After receiving a few messages from some readers this weekend about what to do if you’ve accidentally / not knowingly upgraded a 2G iPhone to the latest 2.0 firmware. While I had not thought about this happening myself, I just decided to search around the web for some clues and I believe at the moment the method below should be the best choice if the above situation does happen to anyone out there.
Just to let you know first of all, the method below is entirely unrelated to any new release of jailbreak software by the iPhone Dev Team because they have not actually released any updated version of their Pwnage Tool for the iPhone OS firmware version 2.0 as yet.
According to dailyapps, at the moment this method is the best way to get around your problem and if you follow the instructions correctly it should allow you to restore 1.1.4 on your iPhone and unlock it too. It’s based on using the items below, however, I should stress that this method only works for Mac users and NOT Windows users. Unfortunately Windows users will need to wait just abit longer but that should be available soon.
So before I link you over to dailyapps for the exact instructions, it is advised that you have the following list of programs downloaded and ready, again, proceed only if you are a Mac user!
- iTunes 7.7 (from Apple)
- iTunes 7.5 (from Apple)
- iPhone 1.1.4 Firmware
- Pwnage Tool 1.1
- iPhone 3.9 and 4.6 Bootloaders
Once you have downloaded the list of programs above, click here to head over to dailyapps for the rest of the instructions, the whole of the downgrading process and unlocking should only take around 15 minutes.
Update (27/07/2008): A concise summary for your latest iPhone jailbreaking and unlocking needs has now been published, click here to visit this post.
This is a quick post to say that iPhone Dev Team have released 1.1 version of their Pwnage Tool. For those who aren’t too familiar with what it actually is, in a quick summary, the iPhone Pwnage tool can be used to flash your iPhone with custom iPhone firmware so that you can jailbreak it to install and run any of your favorite native iPhone application as well to activate and unlock your iPhone to use it in any compatible GSM networks.
So what’s new about this version 1.1? The latest version of the PwnageTool now features the ability to create custom firmware which was one of features missing when the Pwnage Tool was first released. And this time, Windows users won’t feel so left out because they will also get a Windows based version of the Pwnage Tool, aka winpwn… this was created by an iPhone hacker known as “cnw”. However, it’s said that the iPhone firmware 2.0+ support in this beta version of winpwn has been disabled and more work still needs to be done, “since it’s still buggy”.
The latest version of the PwnageTool includes support for pre-release iPhone firmware 2.0 beta (5A240d) and also includes the EDGE settings fix for iPhone 1.1.4 firmware.
The new feature of PwnageTool 1.1 are mentioned below:
- Added custom package support
- Added custom logo support
- Added auto delete of BootNeuter.app
Here’s the link to downloading the latest Pwnage Tool for Mac users…
And here’s the link you Windows users have all been waiting for!