The iPhone Dev Team have released their latest updated version of PwnageTool, 3.1.3. This new jailbreak tool extends its reach to the third generation iPhone 3GS as well as second generation iPod Touch. For those who would like full confirmation, the new PwnageTool 3.1.3 now supports iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and first and second gen iPod Touch.
If you’ve got a non-jailbroken iPhone 3GS running 3.1, now’s your chance to redeem it into a proper iPhone once more. The upgraded PwnageTool allows the 3GS (and the second gen iPod touch) to be jailbroken thus allowing users to gain access to third party apps on Cydia for example. That’s the good news, there is one bad news though. The new PwnageTool still lacks the ability to jailbreak brand new iPhones which have come straight-out-of-the-box installed with iPhone OS 3.1.
Thus the take home message is, if you’re an iPhone 3GS owner and your iPhone 3GS was previously pwned in 3.0 or 3.0.1, then you’re in luck because it will be supported. But if your iPhone had OS 3.1 out of the box, then you’ll still need to wait for the Dev Team’s next update. Additionally, if you want to use the new PwnageTool, you will probably have listened to the warnings anxiously expressed by the Dev Team that you shouldn’t update directly via iTunes to OS 3.1, as this is what the PwnageTool is meant to do for you.
So to summarise the keypoints:
- The PwnageTool 3.1.3 supports iPhone (first gen), iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and first and second gen iPod Touch
- iPhone 3G and 3GS running OS versions previous to 3.1 (such as 3.0 or 3.0.1) should not update directly to OS 3.1 via iTunes and instead should download the PwnageTool (links below) which will assist you in doing so
- If you’ve recently just bought an iPhone 3GS, the chances are its probably already running firmware 3.1 which means you won’t be able to jailbreak it at this point (if it isn’t, follow the above step)
- All iPhone 3G and 3GS users who successfully jailbreak using PwnageTool should remember if you want to retain the possibility of unlocking your iPhone in the future – always update to new firmwares when a new supported PwnageTool is available
- PwnageTool is only available for Mac OS X, PC users can still jailbreak through borrowing a Mac (a good reason to make friends with a Mac!)
Here are the links to downloading the new PwnageTool version 3.1.3 (first link is official):
[via Dev Team]
Any questions, please leave us a comment and we’ll try to get back to you as soon as we can.