The latest Sony extra bass (XB Series) stereo headphones MDR-XB700 are a pair of stylish extra bass headphones, we were fortunate to have been sent a pair recently for this review. Check out the gallery of the Sony stereo headphones MDR-XB700 we posted a few weeks ago if you haven’t seen it before, its definitely worth having a look.
Just as a reminder, here are the official product descriptions:
- Blast your ears with our new XXXL 50mm XB driver unit, for the deepest, tightest rich bass sound yet – bringing you closer to the club music you love in stunning Sony sound quality
- Luxury ultra thick pressure-relieving king-size urethane earpad cushions for extreme unbeatable comfort all day or night long…
- 360kJ/m3 high power neodymium magnet delivers powerful clear mid-range sounds, perfectly paired with the deep thumping bass line
- Tightly sealed acoustic design for a supreme level of sound isolation and rich bass sound, to stop any of your music leaking out
- Oxygen Free Copper voice coil for ultra powerful handling capacity (3,000mW)
- Durable and lightweight 1.2m flat cord, both-sided, for tangle-free listening
- Super sensitive 106dB/mW for an ear-blastingly loud sound output
- Huge frequency response range, from an ultra low 3 up to a massive 28,000Hz, reproducing a smooth low bass line right through to the highest pitch treble
- New seamless flat and wide headband plus hairline aluminium finish for enhanced wearing comfort and total style
- Gold-plated L-shaped stereo mini plug
- Carry pouch to keep your XB700 Series headphones safe
The MDR-XB700 though may appear to be a large bulky pair of headphones, in fact it is very light weight. The king-sized luxurious ultra thick urethane leather earpad cushions probably contributes to this misconception, but once you put them on, you will realise how uniquely comfortable they are compared to similar designs from other brands currently on the market. The flat and wide headband plus hairline aluminum finish for enhanced wearing comfort have been done fantastically well and again, this gives the MDR-XB700 an all round luxurious finish. The package also comes with a carrying pouch to protect the headphones.
After trying out the earphones, we feel that it’s a great pair of headphones to have. The thick earpad cushions are very soft and comfortable to wear even for long periods of time. The audio sound quality is very clear and the bass sound effect is powerful, especially when listening to some of the hip pop songs. With the size of the earpads, it is able to provide some noise isolation but not as good as we expected comparing to the AblePlanet headphones we tested in the past.
- Very comfortable earpads
- Stylish design and impressive solid quality
- Excellent sound quality and bass sound
- Reasonable price
- No volume control on cord
- Noise isolation could be better
Overall, the MDR-XB700 would definitely meet the expectations of anyone who trusts and favours the usual high standard of quality that Sony products offer. This pair of headphone was a luxurious combination of impressive sound quality, extra bass effect and stylish design. For anyone who is looking for a pair of headphones that will allows them to directly engage purely with their music, we would not hesitate recommending the MDR-XB700. While every gadget will have its own shortcomings, we regard its price range of approximately £99.00 / US $129.99 to be reasonable.
For more information, the attached below is the official press release from earlier this year.
How low can you go:
XB series headphones by Sony deliver the lowest ever bass
- Unique design recreates club ambience with powerful, ultra-low bass response
- Exclusive driver unit reproduces low frequencies accurately
- King size ear cushion (MDR-XB700/500/300) and wide headband for maximum wear comfort
Hip-hop? Dubstep? Drum’n’bass? Whatever you’re into, there’s a new range of headphones from Sony for music lovers with tastes that go a little deeper.
The dramatically styled new XB series creates a heavy club vibe with rich, powerful bass you can really feel. Standing for “eXtra Bass”, the new XB range accurately reproduces ultra-low frequencies without compromising crystal-clear midrange vocals and high frequency sounds.
The five-model XB range is headed by the closed-type MDR-XB700. This premium headphone features innovative Sony technologies that take you straight to the heart of the dancefloor.
Inside, there’s a rugged, extra-large 50mm dome-type driver that effortlessly reproduces pristine ultra-low frequencies. Optimised bass performance is balanced by clear, uncoloured reproduction of high- and mid-frequencies for a rich, satisfying soundscape.
As you’d expect from Sony, styling is as striking as the sonic performance. Sumptuously crafted from synthetic leather, the king-sized ear cushion (MDR-XB700/500/300) reduces sound leakage for fat, booming bass with excellent sound isolation. The unique urethane cushion spreads pressure evenly, providing comfortable wear over extended listening periods.
Complementing the king-sized ear cushion, a wide headband features a new ‘seamless’ design for cutting-edge looks plus extra wear comfort.
Also available, the in-ear MDR-XB40EX and MDR-XB20EX deliver seismic bass thanks to an innovative ‘direct vibe’ acoustic design that minimises sound spillage. The innovative vertical driver orientation (with MDR-XB40EX only) delivers clear, powerful audio with extended bass without compromising listening comfort.
Brushed aluminium accents (with MDR-XB40EX only) and a durable new flat-section cord add the final touches to this distinctive, highly desirable range of headphones.
The XB series of headphones with Extended Bass is available from March 2009.