If you’re an iPhone user you will have realised by now that a new software / firmware update: 1.1.4 for your iPhone has been released. The upgrade itself can be done directly via iTunes or via a direct single setup file which we provided a link to in one of our posts last week. However one of the main problem faced by most users if you update / upgrade was that your previously jailbroken iPhone no matter what version, presumably 1.1.3, would be bricked or locked once again. After about a week since release, we thought we’d catch up with what the latest option was for jailbreaking the 1.1.4, and after testing it ourselves, we felt choosing the ZiPhone tool would be the easiest and simplest to use.

ZiPhone 2.5 – a new release of the tool that can jailbreak and unlock iPhones through a graphical interface under both Mac OS X and Windows, has been released in an iPhone 1.1.4 compatible edition. This means that any iPhone with any firmware version including those that will be shipped with 1.1.4 out-of-the-box (OTB) can be jailbroken and unlocked. Users who have older firmware versions such as 1.1.3, 1.1.2, etc… and wish to use the utility should perform a “restore and update” process in iTunes to bring their iPhones to version 1.1.4 – remembering to backup any data or work on your device first though!

Here are two screenshots you might find useful…

Here’s an excellent video that will take you through the simple steps of jailbreaking if your device is OTB on 1.1.4:

If you’re on 1.1.3, there is barely any difference but watch this video instead:

Click here for the latest ZiPhone tool files for both Windows and Mac OS.

If you used the exact steps as in the videos above, you should have no problems at all, doesn’t matter whether you’ve got an iPhone or iPod Touch, it worked for us!

[via YouTube and ZiPhone]

Update (27/07/2008): A concise summary for your latest iPhone jailbreaking and unlocking needs has now been published, click here to visit this post.

Grab our free newsletter

Receive our latest articles in your email inbox completely free. Enter your email address below (no spam, we promise!):

We never disclose our readers' information without prior consent.

Tagged with:

28 Responses to How to jailbreak / unlock iPhone 1.1.4 in one quick step – ZiPhone 2.5 tool…

1. 1
    scotty says:

it works if u follow correctly, definatley the easiest way of jailbraking! but MAKE SURE YOU ARE 1.1.4 as i was trying for hours on another one which i didnt realise was 1.1.2

2. 2
    Gad says:

Thanks for your comment scotty, it’s really important that you tell us about these things, glad it worked out ok for you in the end!

3. 3
    Apple Addict says:

Thanks for manual!

4. 4
    Junaid says:

Thanks to ZiPhone team. It worked perfectly.

5. 5
    Nick says:

I have been running 1.1.1 for about 9 months and was afraid to upgrade.

ziPhone worked perfectly. I had no problems. All I had to do was follow the instructions.

My phone is now running 1.1.4 on tmobile.

I would recommend doing the upgrade on a 2nd computer and then restoring all your settings from your “sync” computer.

Thanks Guys. This was the perfect solution I was looking for.

FYI: I also got the internet to work of the WLAN.

6. 6
    b says:

hi…have a huge problem, hope u could help me…i purchased an iphone which was previously unlocked by ziphone..but then i somehow upgraded it into idk 2.0 system..got locked again..we’ve tried everything according to zibri’s video of unlocking but no luck…pls pls pls help me, my head is about to explode..tnx in advance..

7. 7
    Jean says:

8. 8
    Ben says:

Hi, just checking.. can the unlocked iPhone version 1.1.4 be used on any network provider? I’m from SG and I have very little experience in these you see. I’m afraid it won’t work and it will “screw up” my iPhone.. I’m currently using the outdated 1.0.2 jailbroken/unlocked version and I want to update it asap. Thanks.. looking forward to a favorable reply.

9. 9
    Gad says:

Hi Ben, sorry for the late reply. As far as I know at the moment if you upgrade iTunes will offer you the latest 2.0.1 firmware which cannot be jailbroken by the Pwnage Tool which is what everyone would recommended. However, it’s heard that later today the newest version of the Pwnage Tool will be released and it will hopefully be able to jailbreak the 2.0.1. So at the moment, before this happens, if I were you I would stick to the version that you’ve got and not do anything. Hope this helps. Stay tuned to this link: http://blog.gadgetlite.com/2008/08/08/roundup-jailbreaking-unlocking/ , we’ll keep updating it later in the day.

10. 10
    Ben says:

alright. thanks so much.

11. 11
    Md akter hosain says:

Please add Iphone 1.1.4 unlocking helpfull manual.

12. 12
    Qakalla says:

I have an iphone that is JailBreak or Unlocked…it’s 1.1.3 I would like to update the phone to 1.1.4 Any ideas how can i do this..or do i have to buy a software like i did for the 1.1.3?
    Thanks.

13. 13
    fion says:

Hello. I want to unlock my Iphone. I found this site, iphoneunlockfast.com ,do you know? works?

• 13.1

Hi fion, I’m not entirely convinced about these sites, afterall the info and software that they have got are probably also from off the internet and I see no reason why you should pay them instead of doing it yourself.

14. 14
    Rajiv says:

Hi,
    I have an pwned first generation iphone, its gets locked. I want to know the version of my IPhone OS so that i can jailbreak/unlock it. When i try to restore the IPhone using iTunes 8.0 it offers me an upgrade for 2.1 firmware. Is there any way to know the present firmware version of a locked IPhone ??

also let me know if it is possible to upgrade/unlock/activate a locked first generation iphone( i guess mine iphone firware’s version is 1.1.4, but not sure) to 2.1 ??

please suggest me.

• 14.1

Hello Rajiv, thanks very much for leaving your comment for us. Here is how you can check and confirm which firmware your iPhone currently has:

Tap Settings
      Tap General
      Tap About
      And you should now see the version your iPhone is in.

In terms of your other question, yes it is possible to unlock / jailbreak your iPhone, especially so for the first generation iPhone 2G. Please follow our guide here: http://blog.gadgetlite.com/2008/09/14/roundup-jailbreaking-unlocking-3/

If you do decide to do this, please make sure you are NOT using iTunes 8.0.1, your iTunes must be in 8.0.0, and you must have already updated your iPhone’s firmware to 2.1 in the first place. Thanks very much for your comment, please contact us again if you need any further help. If it’s regarding unlocking or jailbreaking firmware 2.1, please leave your comments at the guide link above.

15. 15
    Candra says:

Hi…i got an iphone running on 1.1.4 jailbreaking by Ziphone 2.5 ,and my question is : is it okay to update my itunes ( 7.6.2 version ) to itunes 8.0.2 the current released by apple ? is there would be a problem syncing my 1.1.4 from itunes 8.0 2 ? because i reallly like 1.1.4…and not having thought right now to update my iphone to higher version.

16. 16
    Sam says:

I had an unlocked iphone (1.1.4.) which i accidently restored to factory settings I am trying to unlock my iphone again, using ziphone software. but for some reason it wont detect my iphone. itunes detect it…but ziphone stuck at “searching for iphone”..could any give suggestions as to why?

17. 17
    Chew says:

i’ve a jailbroken 1.1.4 2G version and wanna upgrade to 2.2.1. how to do this and will the upgrade cause the phone to lock? if affirmative, how to unlock again?

• 17.1

Hi Chew, you can update to the latest firmware for your iPhone simply using iTunes. After that you can jailbreak and unlock it again using one of the tools developed by the iPhone Dev Team, our detailed guide is available here: http://blog.gadgetlite.com/2009/02/01/roundup-jailbreak-unlock-options/

The tool that you choose is simply dependent on whether you are a PC user or Mac user. The above has all the details you need, please let us know the outcome, we’d be happy to help you further.

I must also warn you that all your apps downloaded from Cydia and Installer will be lost when you upgrade, there is no solution to this unfortunately.

18. 18
    ashwyn says:

Plz help..although its very old ive been using unlocked jailbroken iphone2g on 1.1.4(4A102).I have no more knowledge about this phone.it was unlocked and jailbroken by a proffessional as I'm scared to risk it myself and I paid him too.I don't wanna spend more on these guys no matter I have to take risk.plz tell the steps to upgrade my version in the safest way.ur help would mean a lot to me as I'm helpless.plz kindly advice.thanks in advance

19. 19

I believe that is among the so much important information for me. And i’m happy reading your article. But want to commentary on few basic things, The site style is great, the articles is actually nice : D. Just right activity, cheers

20. 20

Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your content seem to be
    running off the screen in Ie. I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let you know.
    The design look great though! Hope you get the problem fixed soon.
    Kudos